Filing a Wrongful Death Action

Losing a loved one is devastating. Coping with your loss can become even more stressful if you are left with medical bills, funeral expenses, or the loss of income. If you or someone you know lost someone because of a wrongful death, you may be entitled to compensation to help alleviate some the financial stress. While nothing can bring back your loved one, holding the person or entity responsible may help your family find some peace and closure.

More information on filing for wrongful death:

Art. 2315.2. Wrongful death action
A. If a person dies due to the fault of another, suit may be brought by the following persons to recover damages which they sustained as a result of the death:
(1) The surviving spouse and child or children of the deceased, or either the spouse or the child or children.
(2) The surviving father and mother of the deceased, or either of them if he left no spouse or child surviving.
(3) The surviving brothers and sisters of the deceased, or any of them, if he left no spouse, child, or parent surviving.
(4) The surviving grandfathers and grandmothers of the deceased, or any of them, if he left no spouse, child, parent, or sibling surviving.
B. The right of action granted by this Article prescribes one year from the death of the deceased.
C. The right of action granted under this Article is heritable, but the inheritance of it neither interrupts nor prolongs the prescriptive period defined in this Article.
D. As used in this Article, the words “child”, “brother”, “sister”, “father”, “mother”, “grandfather”, and “grandmother” include a child, brother, sister, father, mother, grandfather, and grandmother by adoption, respectively.
E. For purposes of this Article, a father or mother who has abandoned the deceased during his minority is deemed not to have survived him.
Acts 1986, No. 211, §2; Acts 1997, No. 1317, §1, eff. July 15, 1997.

Let an expert attorney help guide you through the process of filing for a wrongful death action. Hunter and Beck are personal injury attorneys who provide legal counsel for the Alexandria, LA, area. For a free evaluation of your wrongful death case, contact us today, or for more information.

Call Now Button